Special event planned for May 23 to June 12
Hard to believe, but it's only taken Overwatch a year to dominate the gaming scene, and to celebrate the game's first anniversary later this month Blizzard has released a special video showing the team's favorite moments.
We can see the moment the game went live, footage from Blizzcon 2016 and a look at the some of the game's many updates in its first year, including the addition of Orisa and Overwatch: Uprising. It also asks fans to join the game for a special celebration from May 23 to June 12.
"On behalf of all of us here at Blizzard we want to thank you for what an awesome year this has been for the Overwatch community," says game director Jeff Kaplan.
We don't know exactly what Blizzard is planning for the anniversary celebrations, but given the success of Overwatch's first year, you can expect it to be big. Previous events have included special game modes, reskinned maps and unique cosmetic items. During a recent event in New York, Overwatch game director Jeff Kaplan said that Blizzard plans to release more details over the course of the next week.
Blizzard will also re-release the game as Overwatch: Game of the Year Edition as part of the anniversary, and this will include the base game and a selection of digital goodies. Here’s what’s included, according to Blizzard:
- Overwatch - 10 Bonus Loot Boxes: Enjoy 10 bonus Loot Boxes which each contain random items that can be used to customize the appearance of your heroes and personalize them. Loot Boxes may include Skins, Emotes, Victory Poses, Voice Lines, Sprays, and Highlight Intros, as well as Credits you can use to acquire many different customization options.
- Overwatch - Hero Skins: Pay homage to the original Overwatch strike force by wearing the vintage Blackwatch Reyes or Strike-Commander Morrison skins. Explore other heroes’ origins with Overgrown Bastion, Security Chief Pharah, and even Slipstream Tracer!
- Heroes of the Storm - Tracer Hero: Jump into the Nexus with Tracer and surprise your enemies in the blink of an eye.
- World of Warcraft - Baby Winston Pet: Adorably cuddly and highly intellectual, the Baby Winston pet will be at your side as you fight your way through Azeroth.
- Diablo III - Mercy's Wings: Slay demonic forces throughout the High Heavens and Burning Hells as you don Mercy’s wings. All of Sanctuary will know of your allegiance to Overwatch!
- StarCraft II In-game Portraits and a Hearthstone Card Back!: With portraits of Tracer, Reaper, Pharah, Winston, Bastion, and Soldier: 76, you’re sure to become a champion of the Koprulu Sector. You can also battle it out in Hearthstone with an Overwatch-themed card back fit for a hero!