Bungie sends the crowd wild with a teaser tweet, trailer will air on March 30th at 10AM PT.
Bungie's co-op heavy shooter was a mega hit for the studio and an obsession for gamers, and it seems the build up to the sequel's release has started with a single tweet from Bungie this morning. Here's what's leaked out about Destiny 2 so far, and it's a good mix of rumor, hope and good old internet speculation. We'll get an official trailer on March 30.
It's set to launch on September 8, 2017
A leaked retail poster from Italy set the release date. It fits with previous statements from the game's publisher, Activision, who said it would be out "this year." The original Destiny was released on September 9, 2014.
Your original Destiny loot won't make it to the sequel
"Destiny 1 power, possessions, and Eververse-related items and currency will not carry forward," Bungie told fans earlier this month. It did suggest that the look of your character would be transferable though, so breathe easy if you're particularly attached to your guardian's hair style. "Specifically, the class, race, gender, face, hair, and marking selections for all characters that have achieved Level 20 and completed the Black Garden story mission will carry forward."
It's probably coming to PC
The first Destiny was a console-only game, but one of the top Destiny streamers is currently claiming to have been able to pre-order a copy of the game in Germany. Rumors have also been circulating around gaming's major message board NeoGAF. One poster claimed to know an employee at publisher Activision and said a PC version is "being internally communicated to employees." Also, why wouldn't Bungie want their biggest game on PC?
Destiny 2 Limited edition PC 17th sept. 2017. 110€ pic.twitter.com/EVYgetQvcy— Snowy (@SenSnowy) March 25, 2017
There'll be a bigger focus on story
In its earnings call in February Activision stayed cagey on Destiny 2 but did say "there will be "a great cinematic story that's been a real focus" through development and a memorable cast of characters." The original Destiny wasn't exactly applauded for its storytelling, so this is a good move by the studio. Activision added that the sequel would be accessible to new and hardened veteran players.
Around the same time a Reddit posted named Destiny 2 as Destiny 2: Forge of Hope, but Bungie's Luke Smith and Eric Osborne both sent tweets suggesting this was just the usual internet nonsense.
Forge of Nope.— Eric Osborne (@UrkMcGurk) February 9, 2017
It could be all about the Cabal enemy
A Mega Bloks fan site was home to few more clues that suggested Destiny enemy the Cabal will play a starring role in Destiny 2. The Lego-like building blocks have featured Destiny themed kits before and when three new sets were listed on Amazon it raised some Guardian eyebrows.
Buildable Goliath tank with rotating turret and articulated jets
- Tank fully opens to reveal interior troop bay
- Four highly detailed, super-poseable micro action figures include Commander Zavala, one Cabal Phalanx, and two Cabal Psion
- Zavala comes with detachable armor and Answering Chords auto rifle
- Cabal figures come with detachable Siege Dancer armor, weapons, and shield accessory
Cabal Bruiser Battle Building Set
- Buildable hangar platform
- Set the scene for a clash between a Bruiser's crushing strength and a master swordsman's skill
- A legendary warrior faces his greatest contest yet in the Tower hangar
- Wielding his Raze-Lighter, hero of the Crucible Lord Shaxx prepares to pit his blade against the furious cleavers of a Cabal Red Guard
Aspect Of Glass Building Set
- Buildable Aspect of Glass jump ship with opening cockpit and working launcher
- Highly detailed, super-poseable Hunter micro action figure
- Figure comes with detachable Spektar armor and Lord of Wolves shotgun
- Jump ship stand features transparent articulated display rod
Fans picked through the details, Sherlock Holmes-style. "I've had a feeling since the end of The Taken King that the Cabal would stage an attack on the Tower. All their leadership in the system is dead and the missions you take for Dead Orbit confirms a transmission out of the solar system. It makes sense in order to shake up the world of Destiny," speculated one fan.